30 March 2010

Waiting today; A silent War.

It's a quiet war between you and I. The silence of fighting within ourselves. No laughing or smiles, no kisses or jests. I'd almost rather be yelling, but almost isn't quite there.
You'd kissed the top of my head as you'd left, not a word spoken, just the quick gesture as you'd walked off. The screen had closed, your bike had sounded.
"Looks like you've sent your love off to war," says the man behind me with a smile.
The heart is not in me to smile back, to give a witty response.
"Just about," I mutter as I turn back around to face computer screens and disconnected students. Headphones plugged in to laptops and notes scattered across their tables, they are tucked into their own little corners of the world, isolated with their paper coffee cups and distant dreams.
I don't know why we're angry. Because you waited, because I did. You'd said you were ready, I was, too. I read while I waited, played cards, sang, whistled, watched you type and finally, after you left to chop wood to vent your anger I sat in the car. Waiting, still, for time to pass. And when 20 minutes had, I waited more. Until I left a note that I would be waiting for you at Lestat's.
When you arrived, I waited more, but leaving wasn't the plan and neither was talking.
I threw my arms around you and kissed your crown, waiting for a response but nothing came. Disconnected, you were, I am now.
A silent war of stewing, leaving issues unsaid and not dealt with. As is our nature, to stew and wonder the things we let bother us, but don't discuss.
I'm ready when my shoes are on, you can drag me out the door. I encourage you. If you start to type, I will wait until you are finished. If you get on the computer, I will find a book to read. I'm waiting. Still waiting.
Now I'm waiting to discuss what we haven't discussed and it will be ignored until I have nearly forgotten. I don't want to push you to talk when I know I can't always. I need time sometimes and so I give you time. Mentally, physically, emotionally- I'll give you all the time you need because I know you do the same. I won't push you on it. I've tried.
And now I'm done with this self-pity.
Thanks for reading.

No comments: